Suspect charged after California explosion due in court
U.S. Court News
A Southern California man who was arrested on an explosives charge after a blast killed his former girlfriend last week at her day spa is scheduled to appear in court.
Fifty-nine-year-old Stephen Beal is set to appear in federal court in Santa Ana Monday afternoon.
Beal is charged with possessing an unregistered destructive device that the FBI says was found at his home.
He has not been charged with the blast that killed 48-year-old Ildiko Krajnyak (IL-di-koh KRY-nyak) on May 15 when she opened up a cardboard box at the spa in the city of Aliso Viejo south of Los Angeles.
Beal and Krajnyak dated until recently and remained business partners.
Beal did not enter a plea during a court appearance last week and his public defender would not comment.
Related listings
-
State appeals court reinstates California's right-to-die law
U.S. Court News 06/16/2018A state appeals court has reinstated — at least for now — California's law allowing terminally ill people to end their lives.The Fourth District Court of Appeals in Riverside issued an immediate stay Friday putting the End of Life Option ...
-
Egypt refers 28 to criminal court for forming illegal group
U.S. Court News 06/08/2018Egypt's chief prosecutor has referred 28 people to a criminal court on charges including forming an illegal group aiming to topple the government.Sunday's statement by prosecutor Nabil Sadek says the suspects face an array of additional charges, incl...
-
UK Supreme Court criticizes Northern Ireland abortion laws
U.S. Court News 06/06/2018Britain's Supreme Court on Thursday criticized Northern Ireland's strict anti-abortion laws but dismissed a legal challenge.A majority of the court decided that the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission, which initiated the case, did not have the ...

USCIS Will Begin Accepting CW-1 Petitions for Fiscal Year 2019
On April 2, 2018, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will begin accepting petitions under the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)-Only Transitional Worker (CW-1) program subject to the fiscal year (FY) 2019 cap. Employers in the CNMI use the CW-1 program to employ foreign workers who are ineligible for other nonimmigrant worker categories. The cap for CW-1 visas for FY 2019 is 4,999.
For the FY 2019 cap, USCIS encourages employers to file a petition for a CW-1 nonimmigrant worker up to six months in advance of the proposed start date of employment and as early as possible within that timeframe. USCIS will reject a petition if it is filed more than six months in advance. An extension petition may request a start date of Oct. 1, 2018, even if that worker’s current status will not expire by that date.
Since USCIS expects to receive more petitions than the number of CW-1 visas available for FY 2019, USCIS may conduct a lottery to randomly select petitions and associated beneficiaries so that the cap is not exceeded. The lottery would give employers the fairest opportunity to request workers, particularly with the possibility of mail delays from the CNMI.
USCIS will count the total number of beneficiaries in the petitions received after 10 business days to determine if a lottery is needed. If the cap is met after those initial 10 days, a lottery may still need to be conducted with only the petitions received on the last day before the cap was met. USCIS will announce when the cap is met and whether a lottery has been conducted.